Saturday, July 2, 2011

Friendship

When we are young we see friendship as someone who will play with us, who will share their toys us.  As we get a little older friendship means having someone to do things with, someone who will stick with us in school, someone who we share the joys and sorrows of growing up with.

As we get older, turn into adults and make our way through life, friendship becomes so much more.  As adults we rarely open ourselves up to really close friendships.  Why is that?  What are we afraid of?

Not living near family of any kind I have come to depend on friends and friendships.  They are my life line.  They pick me up when I am low, they provide encouragement when needed, they make me laugh, they give me their shoulder to cry on, they are strong when I am weak, the rescue me when I need rescuing.
Friends are my family.  I love them more than they will ever know.

My friends are what make life worth living.  I would give everything  I have to help them.  I am there for them and they for me.  We know we can count on each other when we can't count anyone else.

My friends love me when I'm unlovable.  They love me even if I've made them angry.  They love me even when I do something stupid.  They know me inside and out.  They know me better than anyone else possibly could.  I know that today, tomorrow, and forever we will be there for each other.


My friends keep me on the right road.  The road less traveled.  When we are together we are sometimes radical.  We are sometimes crazy.  Sometimes when we're together we don't say a word.  That's what real friendship is all about.  Being able to be together without saying a word.  Just being.

Age plays no part in our relationship.  Some are older, some are younger.  Some have grown children, some have teenagers, and some are just beginning their families.  Some are married, some are divorced, some have significant others, and some are just plain single by choice.  It doesn't matter.  We are drawn together with a special bond.  A bond that can't be broken.  We are girlfriends.  We are women.  We are friends for a life time.

And then are the friendships with those who we have never met in person.  They are long distance friendships with people who we have met on the internet or in some other way.  We converse through emails, instant messages, and plain old fashioned snail mail.  We too care, and love, and encourage each other.  Just because we haven't met, or are miles apart, our friendship isn't any less important than the friendship with those around us.  We have become just as close.  We have become just as dependent on each other.

And there are the friendships that we forge with someone who we never expected to be so important in our lives.  Someone who not only loves and encourages us, but who compliments us in every way and us them.  A friendship that no other could enter into with us.  We're soul mates.  We know what the other is saying or thinking before it can be said.  We are closer than you could ever imagine.  So close that it's almost scary.  Sometimes it is scary.  This is one of those friendships that you would die for.  It's the one that you won't ever give up on.  And you guard it with everything you have.  Even if the two of you end up miles apart that friendship, closeness, togetherness still lives on.  It always will.  You treat it as if it's an expensive, glass antique.  Something that you will keep forever.

Friendship is complicated at best.  It involves so many feelings.  But when you can spend immeasurable amounts of time with a friend, doing something or nothing, or laughing like you'll never quit, or crying till there are no more tears to cry, that's more valuable than anything you could possibly purchase.  Friendship can't be bought.  Friendship can't be forced.  It just happens.  And when it happens, it is the most wonderful gift in the world.

Thank you Lord for all the wonderful friends you have brought into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment